Question: What is the 27 Club?
In life, there are certain questions that will be left unanswered and mysteries that will remain unsolved. Such is the case with a group of young, legendary musicians whose tragic deaths spawned what is known as the "27 Club."
Answer: The 27 Club, also known as Club 27 or Forever 27 Club, is a name given to a group of notable musicians who died at the young age of 27. Their deaths during this ripe age are either known or shrouded in mystery.
Influential musicians included on this list are:
- Kurt Cobain (February 20, 1967 – April 5, 1994) - Guitarist, singer-songwriter and lead singer of Nirvana; committed suicide by shooting himself with a shotgun
- Jimi Hendrix (November 27, 1942 – September 18, 1970) - Singer-songwriter and guitarist; cause of death was sleeping pill overdose
- Robert Johnson (May 8, 1911 – August 16, 1938) - Blues musician; cause of death is unknown
- Brian Jones (February 28, 1942 – July 3, 1969) - Guitarist and founding member of The Rolling Stones; cause of death was drowning
- Janis Joplin (January 19, 1943 – 4 October 1970) - Singer-songwriter and lead singer of Big Brother and the Holding Company; probable cause of death was heroin overdose
- Jim Morrison (December 8, 1943 – July 3, 1971) - Singer-songwriter and lyricist of The Doors; cause of death listed as heart failure although others suspect it was due to heroin overdose
- Amy Winehouse (September 14, 1983 - July 23, 2011) - Grammy award winning singer-songwriter; died in her home in Camden, London, cause of death is still being determined.