Born in Llandaff, Cardiff, on February 21, 1986 as Charlotte Maria Cooper. Charlotte showed a love for performing as early as 3 years old but her big break came in 1997 on the show Talking Telephone Numbers. She was 11 years old at that time and performed a beautiful rendition of Pie Jesu. Her television debut earned her more guest appearances on several other shows as well as concert performances.
Rise to Fame
Her debut album Voice of an Angel was released when she was 13 years old. followed by her self-titled album in 1999. Charlotte sang mostly operatic, classical, and religious songs. In 2000, her album Dream A Dream, a collection of Christmas songs, was released. The following year, her album titled Enchantment was released. Both Dream A Dream and Enchantment featured several songs in a different genre such as pop. Her album titled Prelude was a collection of her best songs from her past albums. This was released in 2002 and signaled the end of her classical career at the age of 16. From then on, Charlotte Church would cross over to the pop music genre.
Notable Awards and Performances
- In 2000, was one of Billboard's worldwide Top Ten best selling female vocalists.
- One of the youngest artists to have a #1 album in UK's classical charts.
- Appeared on Ford Motor's Just Wave Hello campaign.
- Recorded a song for the movie A Beautiful Mind
- In 2005, released her crossover album titled Tissues and Issues.
- Aside from singing, she also appeared on television shows as well as film. Charlotte also made the covers of reputable magazines.
- Nominated in BRIT Award's Best British Female Performer for 2006.
- 2006 performances at the Glasgow Clyde Auditorium, London Shepherds Bush Empire and Cardiff St David's Hall.
- Hosted her own television show in 2006.
Sadly, Charlotte's personal life has been constantly played in the tabloids, from her parents' marital problems to her supposed excessive smoking and partying. Yet, she continues to create her own niche in pop music. Charlotte and her boyfriend Gavin Henson welcomed their first child, Ruby Megan Henson, on September 20, 2007.
For updates on Charlotte's life and career, visit her official website.