The Bottom Line
- The music pieces progress from fairly easy to intermediate level.
- Offers exercises first before proceeding to a piece using a different technique.
- The music pieces are fun to play and sound catchy.
- Has an accompanying CD for you to play along to and to check whether you're playing it correctly.
- Reasonably priced.
- Lack of more in-depth explanations.
- Lack of illustrations.
- This book isn't meant for the beginner violin player.
- Published by Mel Bay Publications.
- Written by Marty Laster, a composer, musician and teacher.
- Offers over 30 music pieces, including exercises, for the student to learn.
- An interesting approach for those who want to learn how to play bluesy tunes for the violin.
- This book is a supplemental material to other violin methods.
Guide Review - Blues Violin for the Young Beginner
What I like about this book are the catchy tunes and the straight-forward way the lessons are presented which will work fine for those who aren't new to the violin. But for absolute beginners, this book may be difficult to follow without detailed explanations and helpful illustrations.
The author clearly states in his introduction that this book is not for the violin beginner per se, but for those who are beginners to the blues technique for the violin. Thus if you've been playing the violin and want to explore other music styles such as the blues, this book is for you. Otherwise, for those who are just beginning, this book will be one to keep in mind for years to come.